Pages

Saturday, January 1, 2011

Living Vicariously: 3/15

books.jpg


I have never been homeless. The closest I have ever come to being homeless is having a friend in college sleep in a cardboard box in Milwaukee just to see what it was like. This book by Mitchell Duneier made me feel as though I was directly interacting with a large group of homeless men and women. Some of them are homeless due to choice; others were there due to drugs. The ins and outs of street life in Greenwich Ave. in NYC are fascinating. It was even more meaningful when I visited the exact intersection the book highlights this past summer. I did not see the same people in the book, but I saw the same setup of tables that the book describes. So, go ahead and dive headfirst into a life that most people would never dream of.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails