Pages

Monday, December 21, 2009

The Sweetest Thing

One thing that a traveler comes to appreciate is family. There really is 'no place like home.' This past Thanksgiving, I was able to relax with the family and participate in one of our favorite past times: making food. In the past we've made everything from cookies to homemade pretzels. This year we made one of my favorites: rock candy! Though the recipe is not very complicated, it takes many hands to get the job done. My main job was to 'man' the stove. What you can't see in this picture is my grandma in the background chanting- "Keep stirring! Keep stirring!" The candy has been doled out to family members, and in a few weeks it will be consumed. But I have tucked the memories of that night into the corners of my mind. It is the sweetest thing.

Here is my scrumptious recipe. I hope that it creates many good memories for you and your family:

Rock Candy:

3 3/4 c. sugar
1 1/4 c. white Caro syrup
1 c. water
(4# powdered sugar)-pour this into 4 jelly roll pans and make valleys

Cook til syrup reaches 300 degrees F. Remove from heat and add 1/8 t food coloring and 2 drams of oil (1 oz). Stir rapidly and pour into powdered sugar pans.

When cool, cut. Sift excess powdered sugar off. Makes 2 1/2 lbs.


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails