Pages

Tuesday, February 23, 2010

All sorrows are less with bread. ~Miguel de Cervantes, Don Quixote

Tortillas...beans...tamales...fruit...
Guatemalan food is sure to fill your stomach and bring a smile to your face. All of the children at Agua Viva were very serious about meal time. I find that food serves a similar purpose in most cultures: it acts as the great equalizer, facilitating friendships and camaraderie.



The cooks at Agua Viva are amazing women. They are hard workers, making hundreds of tortillas for every meal. My sister and I attempted to help them make tortillas, but I failed dismally. I lack the certain Susie Homemaker touch-my tortilla fell on the floor. More than once. My sister had more luck then I-her piece of dough actually turned into a flat, circular disc that could pass as a tortilla.





The kitchen at Agua Viva always smells delicious. The children have never complained, and seem to count their blessings.

I experienced a feast for my eyes when I went to the market in Antigua. The colors of the food, clothes, buildings, and trinkets were like a constantly changing kaleidoscope. That is one aspect of Guatemala that I adore: the colors.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails